Amidon Choral Gems
Choral arrangements & compositions by Peter & Mary Alice Amidon
A collection of some of the Amidons’ favorites. All songs arranged by Peter Amidon.
CD only – $10 Also available from our Choral Music site: AmidonChoralMusic.com where you can also purchase downloadable pdfs of the choral arrangements.
Mary Alice and I started singing together from the moment we met in 1975, when we were swept up in the rich world of traditional music and dance in Cambridge Massachusetts. Our harmonic sensibilities were influenced by our deep involvement in shape note singing, our tours with Larry Gordon’s choruses (Word of Mouth Chorus/Northern Harmony), the a cappella singing of groups like the Waterson family (Yorkshire England) and the Nowell Sing We Clear guy quartet, and the harmonizing-by-ear we did singing with our friends and family.
Mary Alice has the gift of creating the perfect melody for text and for creating songs that sound like traditional folk classics. Many of our arrangements and compositions were written originally for the Guilford (VT) Community Church, UCC Choir.
All the songs on this album were recorded by Al Stockwell, and sung either by the Friends of the Amidons singers, or by the Starry Mountain Singers (which includes our son and daughter-in-law, Stefan Amidon and Zara Bode).
View this cd at our other site: AmidonChoralMusic.com for notes, lyrics, mp3 samples and more!
- Solstice Song by Alouette Iselin
- Blackbird by John Lennon and Paul McCartney
- There But For Fortune by Phil Ochs
- Climbing High Mountains traditional
- Be Thou My Vision traditional
- Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen
- Gift of Love by Mary Alice Amidon
- Over the Rainbow by Harold Arlen and E.Y. Harburg
- Prodigal’s Return by AD Merrill, 1845
- Kisses Sweeter Than Wine by Fred Hellerman, Huddie Ledbetter, Lee Hays, Pete Seeger, and Ronnie Gilbert
- Make Me a Channel of Your Peace music by Peter Amidon
- Magnificat music by Peter Amidon
- Corinthians 13 music by Peter Amidon
- So Far From Home poem by Tom Mousin, music by Peter Amidon
- Still There Is Love poem by Edith Newlin Chase, music by Mary Alice Amidon
- What a Wonderful World by George Weiss and Bob Thiele
- Turn Around by Malvina Reynolds, Alan Greene, and Harry Belafonte